Welcome to the Office of Diversity Initiatives, an integral part of our Student Affairs Department! We are committed to serve as the Carlow University's lead advocate and resource on cultural, ethnic and social diversity issues through the cultivation of collaborative partnerships with students, faculty, staff and alum. In order to creating and sustaining an inclusive campus environment, responsive to diversity, we invite you to envision, plan and engage in the conversations and work that will continue to strengthen our diverse community of learners!
- Enrich the diversity within the campus community with programs recognizing Hispanic Heritage Month, Kwanzaa, Martin Luther King Day, Black History Month and Women’s History Month.
- Create leadership opportunities that empower and enable work study students to engage in meaningful work within the Office of Diversity Initiatives.
- Connect our students with the Pittsburgh community through networks on world affairs, global issues, race relations, cultural centers, service opportunities and ethnic ministries.
- Facilitate diversity training, workshops and special projects
- Develop and expand the UMOJA student mentoring program.
- Creative collaborative initiatives with academic divisions, staff departments and student organizations
- Advise the Black Student Union (BSU) in their leadership training, annual program development and signature programs.
- Advise the student gospel music choir, Blessed, with the audition process, rehearsal planning and performance schedule of both on campus and off campus engagements.
- Serve in critical leadership roles for university orientation, matriculation and commencement events.
Barbara Johnson, Director of Diversity Initiatives
Student Affairs Department
301 Frances Warde Hall
3333 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213